Friday, April 8, 2011

How do Genetic Mutations happen? Do you get super powers? Do you get to be a villan?

        Hiya! How are you? How's your brain? How's your stomach? Good? I hope so. Because you're about to take a journey, a journey to a place no other creature has gone... INTO THE WORLD OF WONDERLAND! Ha ha, just kidding. That was Alice. Speaking of Wonderland, we did that play last year, but that's another story. Well, technically, you will be going into a world of wonder, just not the Wonderland Alice went to. Yeah, yeah, let's get started.

Radioacive Spider


Spiderman, Spiderman, friendly
neihgborhood Spiderman!


        So, I did ask you how your brain and stomach were, right? Okay, good. That's something I'm required to do, lest I get sued...uh, not something I wanna go through. Alright, alright, today we're going to learn about *deep voice*  genetic mutations! I know how all those movies say that... I dunno... Spiderman got bit by a radioactive spider, and, because of that, his genes were altered. Now, SuperSara, don't get a big head; I don't like Spiderman, I just couldn't remember how Superman got his powers. I like the idea of Spiderman, just not the actor.
        Anyway, getting off topic. So, Spiderman got bit, he got some spider genes, and, voilà. Spiderman was born. But it doesn't work like that. That's just imagination and fiction. Most genetic mutations wouldn't help you like that, if you could call turning into Spidy helping. I guess it just depends on your point of view.
Eh, it looked awesome.
        Now, don't get the wrong idea. That's not what I'm paid for! Come to think of it, I'm not paid at all. Maybe I should ask.... Anyway, the point is, if you happen to come across someone who has a mutation, don't treat them like they're ebil or ugly or different.

Genetic mutated bull or cow, I can't tell

        Let's see... where was I? Ah yes. It doesn't matter if there's something wrong with your parents... you know, like diabetes or cancer. Well, technically, it does matter, but not to your body. See, the only cells of your parents that matter are the sperm and egg cell. If your parents happen to have diabetes or cancer or something, it would certainly increase your chances, but it would not be passed down to you. Now, if there is something wrong with the sperm and egg cell, then it would be bad. With a capital B-A-D.
        Mutations. The Elephant Man was a a mutation. He was mocked and made fun of. He was disformed, but he's still famous even after death. Here:

        Not pleasant, eh? Still, it doesn't give anyone the right to make fun if him, but we can't change what happened a lifetime ago. Anyway, mutations can be inherited, like I said, or they can come during a person's lifetime. Dun-dun-duuuunnnn. He he, sorry. Now, if your confuzzled, I'm sorry. I'll try to stay on topic and make this as easy as I possibly can...starting...NOW!
        Mutations that are passed from parent to offspring are called hereditary mutations or germline mutations. Germline mutations are called that because the sperm and egg cell (the only cells that can affect you) are also called germ cells. That type of mutation is present all throughout that person's lifetime, in almost every cell in the body. Eek.
        All right, here are a couple of types of mutations:
Normal gene: The dog ate the ball because it was small.
Point mutation: The dot ate the ball because it was small.
Deletion: The dog the ball because it was small.
Insertion: The fat dog ate the ball because it was small.
Frame shift: The dog ate the labl ebuceas ti saw lmal.
        As you can see, point mutation is when you replace one 'letter' with another. Deletion is pretty self-explanatory, as is insertion. But still, I'm required to teach you everything, and here it is: deletion is when you delete a 'word'. Insertion is when you add a 'word'. Frame shift is when you mix up the 'letters' in the 'word'. If any of these things happened to your genes, you can bet your buttons it'll be bad.
A Mutated Gene
        As you can so obviously see, mutations aren't very good. They can be fatal. Mutations are not something to be taken lightly. Not at all. Trust me, one mutation can change your life forever. I hope you learned something here, because I worked hard. If you wanna learn more, go to my classmate's blogs, I'll put the links below. And below the links, if you have time, is a video. Peace out, and I'll talk to you next time!
      









No comments:

Post a Comment