Thursday, August 26, 2010

SO...WHO'S AN ATOM?

        Who's an atom? I think you mean what's an atom. Well, if you want to know, read my previous blog. I ain't gonna repeat it. No, why I'm doing this 'learning' stuff today is because Mr. Sellers is makin' me. So, what I'll teach you today is who discovered atoms. Before we start, I want you to know that I'm not enjoying this, so don't be surprised if it's boring.
        Anyway, atoms weren't discovered by only one person. The first one we'll learn about is Democritus. Here...
         
        Yeah, I know. He's not the most good-looking person in the world....(Anabel changed my wording. It was originally 'He's ugly'.) haha anabel was here. Fatima: Ignore that. Whoops...urgent call, unavoidable. So, since I can't teach you anymore about what's-his-name (thank God), I'll let Bill take over. Here he is:
        Yes, I know he's a bird. But that's not the point. The point is, you wanted to learn about who discovered atoms, and since I can't teach you, a bird will. Now, if you don't want to be taught by a bird, exit this blog. Please, it will save me a lot of time. Got a problem? Good. Quit complaining. So... see ya.
        Hezo. Bill here. Okay...Democritus formulated an atomic theory for the cosmos. Lotsa people consider Democritus to be the 'father of modern science.' He said: "Atoms are infinite in number and imperceptible because of the minuteness of their size".
        The second person we'll learn about is Dalton. John Dalton. Dalton, or John, was an observer of weather and a discoverer of colorblindness. It was in the early 1800's when Dalton, or John, came up with his atomic theory. His atomic theory stated that elements consisted of tiny particles called atoms. He said that the reason an element is pure is because all atoms of an element were identical and that in particular they had the same mass. Dalton, or John, also said that the reason elements differed from one another was that atoms of each element were different from one another. In particular, they had different masses.
        Next up is... oh, Fatima's back. Finally. I was beginning to get bored. Yes! Whoo hoo! Back to the skies.See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!
        Hi. I'm back, unfortunately. It was a false alarm. It was...oh, don't make me rant. Now, where was Bill... did what's-his-name... did Dalton, or John... ah, yes.  Next up is Avogadro, whoever that is. I guess I'll have to find out. Oh, did Bill show you any pictures of Dalton, or John? Here's one:
        Just a bit better than Democritus, but not by much. Yes, okay. Next up: Amedeo Avogadro. Avogadro published an article in Journal de physique that had the distinction between the molecule and the atom. He pointed out that Dalton had confused the concepts of atoms and molecules. The "atoms" of nitrogen and oxygen are in reality "molecules" containing two atoms each. Thus two molecules of hydrogen can combine with one molecule of oxygen to produce two molecules of water.Avogadro suggested that equal volumes of all gases at the same temperature and pressure contain the same number of molecules which is now known as Avogadro's Principle. Picture:
       








 
 
 
He's worse than Democritus and Dalton, or John. But forget that. Yay! We're done! Feel free to... celebrate good times, come on! Sanks for reading. Well, until next time.

4 comments:

  1. hi fatima umm im sorry i like your blog alot i love reading its fun to read your blog and jalens blog is good to. I just need you to accept the fact that nobody's blog is perfect and there are going to be things wrong with your blog. There always will be, bc nobodys perfect, im sorry. When Mr.Sellers said we had to say what we didnt like it was really hard for me to think of something that was wrong with yours. I like that you put your personality into your blog because on my blog i pretend to be somebody im not sometimes. And your first comment was right, you are awesome. keep up the good work and i hope to see more awesome posts in the future SuperSaraSuperBye!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i was going 2 say something..... but anabel said all of it! so what she said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete