Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Hardest Science I've EVER learned!

        Oh my gosh. I've done sooo many blogs, and most of them have been about atoms. Don't worry, people. We're almost done with atoms. Then we're gonna go on to a different topic, could be more interesting, could not, although anything harder than the periodic table, I can't imagine. So... the periodic table.
        The hardest science I've ever learned is The Periodic Table of Elements. Dmitri Mendeleev is considered the 'father' of the periodic table. He was born in Siberia, and he was the last born of fourteen children! I can barley tolerate the siblings I've got now, let alone fourteen. Oh, a picture of him, if you don't mind:

        I don't know what's with all the ugly people back then. I mean, seriously! Anywayz, his father went blind and could not support the family anymore. So his mother started a glass factory. Near the end of his high school education, Dmitri's father died and his mother's factory burned down. His mother took him to St. Petersberg, and worked day and night for his college education.
        In the late 1860's, Mendeleev began working on his great achievement: the periodic table of the elements. By arranging all of the 63 elements by their atomic weights, he managed to organize them into groups possessing similar properties. Where a gap existed in the table, he predicted a new element would one day be found and deduced its properties. And he was right. Three of those elements were found during his lifetime: gallium, scandium, and germanium.
       The periodic table of elements are divided into sections. Metals, non-metals, ect. The atomic number is the number of protons in an atom. *Yawn*So... where were we? Ah, yes. Here's a picture of the table thing:

        As you can see, because of the title of the picture, this is the periodic table of elements. Yay! Let's all celebrate! Not. Wanna know why? Because in high school, they're going to make you memorize that table. 'Course, I'll be in high school before you guys, and I'll visit you and tell you, it's not gonna be fun. Speaking of high school, if I can, I'll still be making blogs, even if I'm not in Shreiner anymore. But that's another two years. 
        Well, that's the basics. If this interests you, you can go to BrainPop to learn more about them. Our old friends Tim and Moby will be able to teach you. If you go on Anabel's and Jalen's blog, they'll teach you about them too. Well, that's all for now. Bye!
P.S. The chemical formula for water is H I J K L M N O. Hee hee. Get it? H2O? H-O? No? Fine.

5 comments:

  1. The periodic table is not so tough if you start at the beginning - before mendeleev - when de chancourtois did the table in 3-d, like the alexander arrangement does it now - at allperiodictables.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey fatima wow you went into alot of detail! I relly enjoyed your blog this time! Keep up the good work! Wow this was really good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never mind. I don't know who, and I really don't care. I'm glad you read my blog rov01!

    ReplyDelete